Pechin's Italian Meat Sauce

Do you know what's in your pasta sauce? Do you buy sauce in a jar? I used to buy sauce in a jar, and then add a whole bunch of my own ingredients to it. Well, I've stopped doing that and started making my own sauce!
Ingredients:
2 lbs Ground Beef (I used 1lbs of ground turkey and 1lbs of beef.)
2 large Onions Chopped
1 Head Garlic, peel the cloves, mince
1 Can of Mushrooms Drained
1 16oz Can Tomato Sauce
2-3 Tbs Italian Seasoning
18oz Tomato Paste
2 Cans Red Gold Tomatoes with Garlic and Basil
3 Tbs Sweetener (I used Splenda.)
Ground Beef, Ground Turkey, Minced Garlic, Onions
I start by browning my ground beef and turkey with the minced garlic (about half of the head of garlic) and chopped onions.  After that, I drain off some of the grease. Than, I start adding the other ingredients into the pot, except for the sweetener.  I mix them together and let them simmer.  I let them simmer for a good 20 minutes.  Then, I taste.  
Sauce While Simmering
I like a really sweet sauce!  Some people don't!  If you don't like a sweet sauce, do not add the sweetener!  This is all to taste. I add a little bit of the sweetener at a time and keep tasting.  I let it simmer for about twenty more minutes.  Then, I put it in the fridge for the night.  Sauce usually tastes better after it's sat over night.  
The next day, I divide the sauce into portions.  I freeze a lot of it!  I usually only make a big pot of Meat Sauce once every other month.  One pot of sauce lasts me a long time! This is a really good recipe if you like to have things in your freezer that you can just heat up and add pasta.  The most important flavors in the sauce to me are garlic, I add a ton of it, and a good rich tomato flavor.  This sauce accomplishes those flavors!
What's your favorite way to make pasta sauce?  



Comments

Popular Posts